Monday, June 22, 2009

Moments of Truth

There are several moments in my life I remember as important, where life's path can go 2 remarkably different ways. I had one last night.

We had brief visits from the boys yesterday when they rode their bikes over, but the rest of the day was a casual Father's Day/Birthday (mine) celebration. My birthday was actually a week earlier, but we've been busy.

Some things slip my mind when I get busy. The hubby asked me if I was supposed to start my period that day and of course I didn't know. I have friends that track cycles, ovulation days, even daily temperatures but I can barely remember whether or not the "dear Aunt F" visited that month or not. I checked my planner and counted weeks... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... Wait, 5?!?! Uh oh.

We've already established that I know remarkably little about my body's cycles, especially for a mom of 3. This is something even I know though. Do I feel pregnant? No, not really. Boobs sore? Nope. Morning sickness? Nope, but I have had mild heartburn for 2 days --is that a symptom? Extra-emotional? I did bawl during Gran Tourino, but not more than I would if I was PMSing... which would have happened weeks ago. Oh, shit. (Historical note: I bought a PG test after bawling in the Kohl's dressing room and found out I was having DS3.)

Next came shock & confusion -- I do have an IUD after all, and that goalie wasn't getting benched until this winter! Then comes acceptance. "OK Lord, You are in control and if you want me to be pregnant now, I don't get it but I guess there's a reason."

Of course, I hadn't even tested yet. On the way home from the gym, we stop at King Soopers for groceries and I get 2 tests - just in case. I slammed a glass of water & tried to take one. I guess I hadn't allowed that water enough time because the test didn't really work. It looked negative though. Really. Negative.

We eat dinner, I make a fritatta (new breakfast of choice around here) and now I have to go again. Well, I didn't have to wait 3 minutes. It turned almost immediately. In fact, the vertical line for positive was darker than the control line. OK. Wow. I start to shake a little.

On the way downstairs, the random thoughts are out of control. Ironically, I just had a conversation with a friend on Friday (over Happy Hour) about how God's plans for children don't always make sense to us but are for the best. She told me about a friend of hers who got pregnant with the almost fool-proof IUD.

The man was sitting at the kitchen table, doing some kind of engineering-geek problems. Fluid Mechanics, I think. I grabbed the camera to take sneaky photos but never ended up doing it. I plopped the test down in front of him and he stared. And stared. (Ever notice how those moments seem to go on forever?)

I'm trying to remember what exactly he said, and I'll put it here if I do. It was mostly just a shocked response though. And more staring.

I think he finally asked, "What does this mean?" My response, "Well, I'm pregnant. Happy Father's Day - you're going to be a daddy."

We decided to keep this under wraps until we both adjust to the information, see a doctor, and get further along in the pregnancy. There is a slightly higher risk of miscarriage when the IUD is removed too. It has to be removed, or that risk goes up to 50% later in pregnancy.

He had to call his brother, Will, because he was, "freaking the shit out" and I said good, because I needed to talk to my BFF, Rebecca. Later we discussed changes to our plans--- not going to Hawaii this fall, getting our house ready, etc. Lots to do.

Sleep did not come easy last night. Of course, we're planning a new course so that's not surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment